Monday, December 30, 2013

Passion... March 2010

Los años son para vivirse y no para contarse - The years are for living and not for counting.


Just a few years back, I was lucky enough to visit Washington DC. After the bus tour of the area, asked the tour driver to drop us off at one of the Smithsonian Museums. The closest he said, was the Museum of Natural History.

As we entered the building, saw a sign - Presentation on Mexican Cycles @ 2 p.m. With only minutes to spare, got to the basement auditorium to view a "slideshow."

For most of us, wondered if it was like looking as Uncle John's trip to the Adirondacks in upstate New York. As I saw the first slide, my attention was focused on something Uncle John probably would not have seen, let alone got photos of.

The presenter, George O. Jackson, made it his passion to record festivals in Mexico. Typically they were based on the lunar calendar. George told a smaller group, later at an upstairs photo exhibition, that many of these festivals were in danger of extinction because of migration of the population that had originally established these customs of dress, dance and devotion.

As I noticed the crowd drifting away from George and on to the exhibits, I asked him; what city in Mexico should I visit to get the Essence Of Mexico?  The question was based on his referral to a website that provided addition details as to this over decades long project - The Essence Of Mexico.

His answer; San Miguel de Allende. I never heard of it, so asked him to spell the name. I wrote it on a paper and saved for later exploration. After the usual Google searches, was convinced I needed a "closer" look, so made our initial trip in January 2008.

George's passion, like mine, is photography. As I realized the festivals were both sacred and profane. On this visit, wanted to learn more about the devotion shown during the Semana Santa, also known as the Holy Week events - the Passion of Christ.

Rather than wait to hear what I "might" see, here are some references from those who have already been through what I am about to experience.

http://www.thessenceofmexicoproject.org
/

Dear Patron,
The Essence of Mexico Project is the culmination of a life-long obsession with Mexico, which I feel very privileged to have been able to realize. The project has allowed me to spend the last 11 years doing what I love best - experiencing, appreciating and photographing vanishing traditional art and the folkways of an extraordinary people who have spent generations living on the edge of a marginal existence and making the best of it, in their quest for balance and continuity. Thanks to the generous contributions of patrons and friends, I believe that I have succeeded in creating a unique, historical collection of photography that presents the aesthetic style, or "essence", of each culture photographed. Now the time has come to share these images with the world...

...In closing, I would like to thank God and all of the angels in heaven for channeling my life into this direction, making all of this possible, plus those loyal friends and allies who helped God do it. Although the collection has already spawned ten major international museum exhibitions, the opportunities presented by these images will not be fully realized until the collection’s images can be shared and properly placed in ethnographic and contemporary art fields, as outlined in the accompanying Phase II proposal. I would greatly appreciate your participation in helping to achieve these goals.
Sincerely,
George O. Jackson, Jr
January 1, 2002

I learned a lot from suggestions made by George for more research. Who would have thought that there are over 60 different languages spoken in Mexico - those just from the native peoples who have been there way before the coming of the Spanish Conquistadors of the 15th century.

http://www.thessenceofmexicoproject.org/phaseII.htm
http://www.thessenceofmexicoproject.org/phaseII.html

http://essenceofmexico.org
http://essenceofmexico.org/

The Procession to San Miguel de Allende - Senor de Columna

http://www.zocalotx.com/theprocession.htm

Stayed tuned for more details on both the sacred and profane part of the Easter Fiesta - Festivals.  I will only be sending one note regard this blog, so bookmark it for easy return to our adventure.

Enjoy :-)